Y'all, not to minimize the problems that are currently eating this world, thereby making society crazy, but I'd like to propose a baby step in the age-old question: "Why can't we just all get along?" OR "What the heck is WRONG with people?"
Take a nap.
Here's my logic:
Jesus (aka God in a bod) was in his 30's and took naps. (Documented Gospel Truth)
Therefore, Amanda (most definitely not God in a bod) is in her 40's, and should definitely take naps.
You know why I think Jesus took naps? I have a lot of hypotheticals here, but I'm going to share my top 3 or 4:
1) To maintain a high level of patience with the tomfoolery occurring around Him.
2) To avoid grumpiness and the desire to wipe stupidity out with one fell swoop.
3) To maintain a high level of productivity during his short ministry. After all, He was on a mission with a timeline.
4) To practice what He preached, because Lawd Y'all, loving people is no small order sometimes.
I know, I know. He was divine, holy, and without fault. I GET IT. He's my Savior, too.
He was housed in flesh and blood, and being divine and all, knew when sleep was a necessity.
Many of us (Americans), know this truth but choose to ignore this truth with kitschy quips, "I can sleep when I'm dead.", "Who needs sleep?" "I'm a night owl.", "I don't require a lot of sleep."
Raise your hand if you have superpowers? Anyone, anyone? Nope. Me, either. So, as my Kentucky bestie says, "C'mon Y'all!"
We LOVE to work, thrive on busy, and, if possible, inject caffeine directly into our veins. People are literally dying in the pursuit to stay awake.
Stop. It. (Insert a hand clap when you see a period.)
It's a proven fact (google it) napping does the following:
1) Improves your health. (From your head to toe and all the unmentionables in between.)
2) It makes you more alert. (Wake up refreshed and join the conversation with open ears and a reasonable tone.)
3) Inspires creativity. (I'll take a little of that. Please, and thank you.)
4) Improves mood. (Ummm...Yes, please.)
5) It makes you more PATIENT and willing/able to LISTEN to other people. (For the love of the planet, CLOSE your eyes.)
And the good news? Not much is required. 10-20 minutes.
My friends, allow me to anticipate your questions:
Well, I happen to be a habitual napper so I can answer this question with a little creativity (get that?)
1) In an ideal life, at home in your bed or recliner or couch. (Never going to happen?) Read on.
3) School parking lot
4) Grocery store parking lot
5) As you're going through the car wash machine thingy (Be cautious with this one.)
6) At your desk
7) Under your desk
8) Any parking lot
9) In the bathroom. *Note, a handicap bar is a great tool to use as a lean on device.
10) During your lunch break. (When I taught school, I may/may not have turned off all the lights, moved a desk out of eyesight, and put my head down.)
You don't have to actually sleep. No worries. Download a white noise app on your phone, set the alarm, and close your eyes. Unplug those neurons for just a few. Guaranteed, you will be a much more rational human afterward.
All joking aside, this road is rough, and you require food, water, shelter, and rest (all figurative and literal). Claim the following verse and take care of yourself.
Proverbs 3:24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid. When you rest, your sleep will be peaceful.